With St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow, we can’t help but get excited about one of the biggest beer holidays of the year. At Craft A Brew, we’re all about enjoying some quality stouts and craft beers to celebrate our Irish Heritage – just say no to green beer! St. Patrick’s Day also presents the perfect opportunity to highlight our favorite home brewing kit of the season – the Bone Dry Irish Stout. We’re offering 10% off these home beer making kits and recipe kit for all of March (use code “irishluck” at checkout)! What better way to celebrate St. Patty’s day than by brewing your own Irish Stout at home? As they say in Ireland, “May you always have a clean shirt, a clear conscience, and enough change in your pocket to buy a pint!”
Description: Irish stouts, in general, are one of the more common stouts. Body is somewhat light to keep them highly drinkable and offer lower carbonation than most beers. There is a bitterness that comes from roasted barley and a generous dose of hops.
Food Pairings: Cuisine (BBQ, Latin American)/ Chocolate/ Meat (smoked meat, grilled meat)
Check out these recipes from Saveur.com for some great meals to pair with your favorite stout.
Try this Irish Stout Beef Stew from Simply Scratch:
Image courtesy of SimplyScratch.com
Glassware: Pint Glass (or Becker, Nonic, Tumbler), Mug (or Seidel, Stein)
ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%
Temps: Cellar 40-45ᵒF/ Serve 45-50ᵒF *Not recommended for extended cellaring, unless ABV exceeds average range
Our Recipe, Your Brew: Our Bone Dry Irish Stout Home Brewing Kit offers a dark blend of roasted malts and mild English hops with a complex collaboration of coffee, chocolate, and toffee flavors. Premium ingredients include: Dark Malt Extract/ Chocolate, Black Patent, & Dark Crystal Brewers Grains/ Goldings Hops/ Premium Ale Yeast
Ten Top Rated Irish Dry Stout Beers (via beeradvocate.com)
- Cadillac Mountain Stout – Bar Harbor Brewing Company
- Black Sun Stout – 3 Floyds Brewing Company
- Portsmouth Black Cat Stout – Portsmith Brewery
- Hillsborough River Dry Irish Stout (Patio Tools) – Cigar City Brewing
- Back Hand of God Stout – Crannog Ales
- O’Hara’s Leann Follain – Carlow Brewing Company
- O’Hara’s Irish Stout – Carlow Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Black Sun Stout – 3 Floyds Brewing Company
- Keepers Stout – Lighthouse Brewing Company
- Gritty McDuff’s Black Fly Stout – Gritty McDuff’s Brewing Company
Will you be home brewing for St. Patty’s Day?