Take an India Pale Ale and a ton more hops, ergo the term Double IPA. Although open to the same interpretation as its sister styles, you should expect something malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that might rip your tongue out. This style is also known as an Imperial IPA. The Imperial usage comes from Russian Imperial stout, a style of strong stout originally brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Court of the late 1700s; though Double IPA is often the preferred name.
Image via BeerAdvocate.com
You can thank west coast American brewers for this somewhat reactionary style. "Thanks!"
Food Pairings: Cuisine: BBQ, Cheese: Monterey, Pepper Jack, Blue, Cheddar, Gorgonzola, Llimburger; Meat: game, grilled meat, salmon
Carne Asada con Mojo pairs great with a DIPA, Via "10 Great Food and Beer Pairings"
Glassware: Snifter, Tulip, Over-sized Wine Glass
ABV: 7.0 – 14.0%
Temperatures: Cellar: 45 – 50 degrees F/ Serve: 50-55 degrees F *Can be cellared for long periods of time under the proper conditions but expect this to mellow the fresh hop character (see more).
Our Recipe, Your Home Brew: Pilsner Light Malt Extract/ Carapils & Flaked Barley Brewers Grains/ Warrior, Simcoe, Chinook, Mosaic, Centennial & Cascade Hops/ Premium Ale Yeast
Our Resin Double IPA Beer Brewing Kit is a Collaboration with Sixpoint Brewery, and the Biggest Beer We've Produced!
Top 10 Double IPAs (according to beeradvocate.com)
- Pliny The Younger, Russian River Brewing Company
- Heady Topper, The Alchemist
- Dinner, Maine Beer Company
- Triple Sunshine IPA, Lawson’s Finest Liquids
- Pliny The Elder, Russian River Brewing Company
- Double Sunshine IPA, Lawson’s Finest Liquids
- Citra Double IPA, Kern River Brewing Company
- King Sue, Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
- Abner, Hill Farmstead Brewery
- Artaic, Trillium Brewing Company
Are you a fan of Double IPAs? Try our Sixpoint Resin IIPA and make your own!